The wine is the most popular open source software. You can download free from the wine official website for your Ubuntu based system. You can easily to run your windows application on your Ubuntu operating system with the help of the Wine open source application.
If you want to install wine on Ubuntu operating system and you don’t know how to install wine on Ubuntu 18.04 or other similar operating systems. You can follow this tutorial and use the commands for installing wine on ubuntu 18.04.
How to install Wine application on Ubuntu
Use the below simple steps for installing wine software on your Ubuntu operating system.
- Open your Ubuntu’s system terminal.
- If you don’t know which Operating system architecture support on your systems like 32 bit or 64 bit. Use the below command to find out your system configuration.
- If your system supports 64 bit, then use the below command for enabling the 32 bit.
sudo dpkg –add-architecture i386
- If you haven’t the wine program repository files, then use the below commands for downloading the wine repositories for Ubuntu.
wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key | sudo apt-key add –
- Run the below command for adding the program repositories on Ubuntu.
sudo apt-add-repository https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/sudo apt-add-repository ‘deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ artful main’
- If you have already, then run the below command to update the wine package manager
sudo apt-get update
- If you want to install wine’s stable version on your Ubuntu system, then you need to run the below command for installing the wine stable version on Ubuntu.
sudo apt-get install –install-recommends winehq-stable
- If you want to install wine’s development version on your Ubuntu. You need to run the below command for installing the wine development version on Ubuntu.
sudo apt-get install –install-recommends winehq-devel
How to uninstall Wine on Ubuntu and its derivatives
If you don’t want to use the wine application on your Ubuntu system. You can use the below simple commands to uninstall wine on Ubuntu.
Uninstall wine stable version on Unbuntu
Run the below commands for uninstalling the Wine’s stable version on Ubuntu 18.04
sudo apt purge winehq-stable
sudo apt-get remove wine-stable
sudo apt-get autoremove
Uninstall wine development version on Unbuntu
Run the below commands for uninstalling the Wine’s development version on Ubuntu 18.04
sudo apt purge winehq-devel
sudo apt-get remove wine-devel
sudo apt-get autoremove