Cleaning a keyboard is important to prevent the buildup of dirt, dust, and bacteria. Here are the steps you can follow to clean your keyboard:
- Turn off your computer and unplug the keyboard from the computer.
- Shake the keyboard upside down to remove any loose debris, such as crumbs or dust.
- Use compressed air to blow away any remaining debris between the keys. You need to hold the compressed air upright and spray in short bursts.
- Use a soft, lint-free cloth moistened with a small amount of rubbing alcohol to clean the keys and the surface of the keyboard. You need to avoid using too much liquids because it can damage your keyboard.
- If any keys are sticky or not functioning properly, gently remove them with a key puller or a small screwdriver, and clean underneath them with a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol.
- Allow the keyboard to dry completely before plugging it back in and turning on your computer.
- To keep your keyboard clean, you can use a keyboard cover or a silicone keyboard skin to prevent dirt and debris from getting between the keys.
Note: Remember to clean your keyboard regularly, especially if you share it with others or eat while using it.
How many ways to clean a keyboard
There are several ways to clean a keyboard, depending on the type of keyboard and the level of cleaning required. Here are some common methods:
- Compressed air: Use a can of compressed air to blow away debris and dust between the keys.
- Keyboard vacuum: Use a small handheld keyboard vacuum to remove dust, crumbs, and other debris.
- Cleaning solution: Use a cleaning solution or rubbing alcohol to clean the surface of the keyboard and the keys. Make sure to use a small amount of liquid and a soft, lint-free cloth.
- Keycap removal: For a more thorough cleaning, you can remove the keycaps from the keyboard and clean the keys and the base of the keyboard separately.
- Ultraviolet light: Some specialized keyboards have ultraviolet lights built in to kill bacteria and germs.
Remember to always unplug your keyboard before cleaning and to avoid using too much liquid or getting the keyboard wet.
Why need to clean a keyboard?
Cleaning your keyboard is important for several reasons:
- Hygiene: Keyboards can harbor bacteria, viruses, and other germs that can be harmful to your health. Regular cleaning can help reduce the risk of illness and infection.
- Performance: Over time, dust, dirt, and debris can accumulate between the keys, causing them to stick or become unresponsive. Cleaning your keyboard can improve its performance and extend its lifespan.
- Appearance: A clean keyboard looks better than a dirty one. Regular cleaning can help maintain the appearance of your keyboard and prevent it from looking worn or dingy.
- Maintenance: Keeping your keyboard clean can also prevent damage to the internal components, such as the circuit board and switches, which can be costly to repair or replace.
Overall, cleaning your keyboard is a simple and effective way to improve its hygiene, performance, appearance, and lifespan.